Friday, January 7, 2011

Most Common Trash

Me and my boyfriend have recently undertaken a huge project that I haven't got the chance to tell anyone about. I'm super excited about this, so here it goes. We're attempting to start our own clothing line..from the ground up. It's so much harder than I had first anticipated, but I'm loving it so far. I've always loved making clothing, I just usually only make things for myself.

What makes me so excited about this project is that we're making everything from recycled and repurposed clothing...either clothes that I have laying around already, or things I find at thrift stores etc. We've already made a few pieces, and I'm really pleased with what we've come up with. We're calling the line Most Common Trash, because that's what we're making our pieces with, what most people would call trash. I know we have a solid foundation, we really just need to crank out some more pieces. I'll post some pictures when we get more done.

Everything we've envisioned either seems to have a punkish/rock and roll edge or a bohemian type look to it, which is a product of our two very different styles. I think it will be interesting to see how these two very different looks will mesh. No matter what the result, I feel really good about this, and I'm confident that we can do great things.

Well anyways, that's what I've been up to lately. In case you were wondering.

Oh BTW.

I've been committed to eating healthier the past week. So one thing, I've been really trying to commit to is eliminating High Fructose Corn Syrup from my diet completely. Not an easy task at all, but I've made a breakthrough. Due to trying to be healthier, I've been eating a lot more salad, which makes it even harder to avoid HFCS because it is in virtually every salad dressing. So, I decided to make my own dressing. There are tons of recipes to be found online that I'm excited about trying, but I've started using a very simple homemade concoction on my salads while I'm at work. It simply consists of vinegar (red wine vinegar) and oil (canola oil) and the juice of a couple lemon wedges. At first I was hesitant, and quite honestly I thought it was going to taste like crap, but I actually ended up liking it more than my usual Italian. It is a great and much healthier alternative if you like Italian dressing, or vinaigrettes. If you like creamier dressings like ranch or french, then it may be too much of a jump, but creamy dressings are loaded with fat and sodium and it would be best to abandon them altogether. The acidity of vinegar is definitely an acquired taste, but when you're health is in question, I feel it's a commitment worth making.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, can't wait to see what kind of fashion you come up with! I found a blog that you might like, btw, it's this girl who buys ugly dresses from thrift shops and makes something really cute out of it. She did one dress a day for 365 days, it's actually pretty cool. Anyhow, here is the link: http://www.newdressaday.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah..I think I came across her blog one day..it was pretty awesome. Thanks for the link...I forgot to follow her, and then couldn't find it again.

    ReplyDelete