Friday, January 21, 2011

Vegan Cooking...yum!

I've been wanting to go vegan for quite a while now, mostly for the health benefits, but also because I really am not a big fan of meat anyway. People who can take the plunge and give up animal products entirely are really inspiring to me. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do it myself, although I am mostly vegetarian. It is extremely hard to get enough protein with a vegan diet if you don't know what you're doing, and I really just don't know how to balance it yet. I am still learning though, and eventually I will be a proud vegan. I think it is unfortunate that vegan food has such a negative stigma surrounding it. Despite what you may have heard vegan food can be very flavorful and satisfying. I've been watching an online vegan cooking show, and the food she makes looks and sounds delicious. I haven't been able to try any of her recipes yet, as I have not been grocery shopping in weeks, but I really cannot wait. Even if you have no desire to go vegan, you can utilize some of the recipes she shares to ensure that you have a healthy, nutrient-rich dish every now and then. Some recipes I'm definitely going to try are the: vegan coleslaw, stuffed mushrooms, low-fat hummus, and vegetarian sushi. Mmm...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!!! Maybe another blossoming vegan?? We went vegan over a decade ago and I was slightly terrified at what to cook for my then boyfriend (now husband) but his cholesterol was high and he told me to get rid of the cheese (I had already been veggie since 3rd grade or so). Back then there was only 1 vegan cheese and now the shelves are lined with tons of stuff to "ease" into the transition. Just when all the cool stuff came out, I had already kind of moved away from wanting to buy more packaging than necessary. But it is easier now than ever and with Daiya and Nut Cheeses, it is even easier to give that up now!!
    So glad I did for lots of reasons, but I can't imagine trying to age without weight gain.......I totally binge eat now but just choose carefully!!

    Don't worry about leaving foods out, maybe just try to add more vegan foods you like in your diet and eventually you might just replace all the old stuff!! Or read the China Study (you probably have already) and it's even a bit more compelling.

    ReplyDelete