Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Awesome Homemade Salad Dressing

I went grocery shopping last night, so my fridge is nice and stocked with fresh fruits and veggies. Well, I went to make a salad this afternoon, and realized that, literally, not one of the salad dressings in the fridge was high-fructose corn syrup free. I was not surprised, but I was disappointed that this nasty little ingredient is pretty hard to avoid. Anyway, I talked about wanting to make my own dressings in an earlier post. So I finally decided to give it a try. I'm not sure what this dressing should be called, but I've decided to call it Tomato Basil Vinaigrette. It's delicious and corn syrup free. =)

You'll need.

A quarter of a medium-sized tomato
A few slices of red onion
A few slices of jalepeno (include seeds if you want it spicy, if not leave them out)
Oil (I used Olive)
Vinegar (I used white)
Basil
Lemon Juice
Salt

You'll want to put the tomato onion and jalepeno in a blender. Then add the oil and vinegar. The amount of oil and vinegar you add depends on how much dressing you want, the only thing you need to know is make sure to use a ratio of 3 parts oil to one part vinegar. Next, give everything a good coating of basil. (I used dried basil, but fresh would be awesome as well) Sorry if the amounts are vague, I pretty much guesstimate everything. Mine came out great the first try, but if you find a flavor too overpowering try to counteract it with something else, or make a mental note not to add so much next time. Same if you feel a flavor is too muted, try adding a little bit more until it tastes good to you. Next, you want to add a splash of lemon juice, and blend everything together. Salt to taste.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great, I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! It was awesome. I don't think I'll ever go back to bottled dressings after I've tasted how good homemade ones can be. =)

    ReplyDelete